Sunday, November 16, 2008

Home Stretch

My apologies in advance for the lack of pictures accompanying my descriptions. I promise to make up for it when we return to consistent, high-speed internet

As I have been walking around the Mukinge area recently, I have been both overwhelmed by the beauty surrounding us here and simultaneously frustrated by the fact that there is no way to do describe or even photograph the visual experience completely. The hospital and center of our community is located at the foot of Mukinge Hill, and the view from the front of our house reveals other densely wooded hills in the distance that have recently begun to spring with green and life now that we have entered "rainy season".

It seems like every hill you cross or road you walk down reveals a unique view of the distinctly "African" landscape. The road to school reveals a towering view of a small maize crop and the overgrown flora surrounding the dam, while the walk to the market provides a fantastic view of the many rolling hills of the Northwest Province, complete with grass roof mud huts scattered among the grasses and small farms.

The most breathtaking part of it all, however, is the sky. The other day as I was walking home from the hospital and some gigantic rain clouds were forming up ahead, Daren remarked that the sky "seems to go on forever". It really is incredible, whether its dawn, dusk, nighttime, storming or just overcast, I find myself stopping in awe of how impressive it is. For all the things we can say about this place, I don't think I could ever get over the natural beauty of it.

Mukinge has certainly won our hearts in a variety of ways, and as we near our departure date, the thought of going home is bittersweet. I think we both look forward to some of the comforts of home; driving our cars, fresh leafy vegetables, access to ice cream and chocolate and consistent power and internet access sound awfully nice to us now. However, we are extremely torn at the cost of going home.

We have both become pretty attached to our class of 30 8-12 year-olds, and they have already begun to express disappointment that we are leaving soon and have no tentative plans to return to Mukinge. I have been helping teach on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and occasionally joining "Auntie Jamie" when she goes on Fridays. In addition, the children have also made a habit of coming to our house after school hours to join us to swim or play a game of basketball. The children of Mukinge Hill Academy will definitely be sorely missed by both of us, and I will be even more upset to lose my status as "Uncle Corey".

Other than the school, I have spent the last few weeks using my experience in the food industry to assist in the opening of a "restaurant" built to help generate some income for the hospital. It is a small building with a kitchen the size of a small bathroom, but the menu includes a number of local favorites as well as "chips" (where I was happy to lend my "expertise" on making some quality American french fries). In the first week of being open, I have been managing, assisting the two cooks and trying to help the business to become somewhat autonomous (having the workers order their own vegetables, pick up their own meat, etc.), being that the hospital staff does not have the time to be overly involved in everyday business. I have also had some great opportunities to assist in some medical procedures with Daren during the days that I shadow him at the hospital and have even gotten to scrub in and assist in a few major operations. Speaking for myself, my time here has already proven to be invaluable in so many ways, and it will be excruciating to be driving away from this place when it is time to leave.

Jamie continues to fill in any and all gaps around the house, depending on what needs to be done, whether its watching the boys, taking care of the baby, doing laundry, cooking, baking or helping clean. She has also been "volunteered" to play piano for the hospital chapel service on Sunday night, which entails leading a few hymns and praise songs. She is a bit nervous, but it will be a great opportunity, and the enthusiasm of the worship here will provide its own reward.

I know I speak for both of us when I say that we are extremely excited to be going home soon, but are equally anxious to make the most of our valuable last two weeks here.

5 comments:

Kelly Salasin said...

There's always a place for "Auntie Jamie" and "Uncle Corey" in Vermont with your nephew-cousins.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Auntie Kelly & Uncle GeGe

Elizabeth Norton said...

You Guys should really use Twitter. That is instant text messages and updates right to our phone!!!!

mb said...

I wish I were back East to hear all your stories and see all your pictures when you get back. What an incredible gift it was that you two could have this "experience"(for lack of a better word). Love and miss you.

jazzyjnstyl said...

What a blessing. My God, WHAT a blessing!!

~jOY =)

Livi said...

miss u guys! can't wait to hear ALL about your trip!!!!
Olivia